Visa Requirements Australia

Step-by-step guide

When you receive an offer of place from an Australian language school it’s time to take care about your student visa. You must apply for a student visa regardless a duration of your course and your citizenship. Light requirements are applicable for New Zealand citizens only.

To get a student visa you must meet criteria of The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) listed below:

  • The student must be accepted into a registered full-time course at an educational institution in Australia
  • The student must be a genuine temporary entrant
  • The student must meet health and health insurance requirements
  • The student must organize appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of intended stay in Australia if they are under 18 years of age
  • The student must have a "good" character and not have any debts to the Australian Government

Explore visa options to study

How to apply for a student visa?

There is on-line application process and you’ll get your visa by e-mail. You must create you ImmiAccount on the DIBP’s web-site and follow the instructions.

Before you start you have to prepare electronic copies of all required documents. Among them are:

  1. Passport: a page with photo and your personal details;
  2. A recent photo 3.5x4.5 cm;
  3. An offer of place and a confirmation of payment (CoE) from a language school;
  4. A bank statement in PDF format which confirms that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of your course + your living expenses (1,655 AUD per month/19,830 AUD per year) + return air tickets. Evidence of funds can include money deposits, financial institution or government loans, scholarships or sponsorships. The annual income option requires a student to provide evidence of personal annual income of at least AUD 60,000. For students accompanied by family members, the requirement is at least AUD 70,000. The income demonstrated must be the personal income of your spouse (who is not coming with you) or parents. Where both of your parents are working, their combined income can be considered for this requirement. Evidence must be in the form of official government documents such as tax assessments. Evidence in the form of bank statements or information directly from an employer is not acceptable;
  5. OSHC insurance for the entire period of your stay in Australia. You can buy it via Tambook or your education provider;
  6. A job certificate if you are an employee;
  7. Certificates from your previous English courses. This evidence of your previous language experience is significant. Please, don’t ignore it!
  8. Evidence of your tight connections with your home country: a marriage certificate, birth certificates of your children, a real estate certificate etc. These documents show that you are a bona fide student who intends to come back home after the end of a course.

All documents must be translated into English by a certified translator who must sign and stamp a translation. Multipage documents must be scanned to one PDF-file. It’s better to scan an original version of a document in your native language and a translation of this document to one PDF-file. When you save documents, please, name them properly, for example, “You name and surname_offer of place”.

Please, pay your attention that you may be required to undergo health examinations as part of the visa application process, check the Health Examinations information on the DIBP website. There are specific requirements for arranging a health examination. An online system known as eMedical processes health examinations results electronically and these are forwarded to DIBP for assessment. If you do require a medical examination outside of Australia, you must contact an Australian panel doctor in your country. A list of doctors is available from Immigration Panel Doctors.

Pre-paid air tickets are not a compulsory part of your visa package but are an advantage.

Tambook wishes you good luck in your application process! If you need our visa services, please, contact us.